Date:      Tue, 16 Feb 1999 10:28:04 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Windows Refund Day Press Reports: Linux, Linux, Linux

> No, I didn't "wimp out." I simply did not go to the Bay Area, because
> the event was run by a Linux group and was intended to exclude users
> of many alternative OSes.

I wish people would stop looking at this so one-dimensionally.  The
function of these events is not JUST to stoke the press, though that's
always nice, but to also meet some of your fellow geeks and plant the
seed that maybe Linux isn't the only game in town and there are others
who feel just as passionately about a different solution.

In effect, somebody needs to evangelize to the evangelists and that
appears to have happened here regardless of how the press chose to
spin the event.  Don't forget that most of these folks probably never
even heard of Linux 2 or 3 years ago and it's not like their minds are
completely closed to the idea of something else being free and
wonderful - I've personally converted many dozens of Linux users over
to FreeBSD, some of whom are now our loudest advocates.

Even more importantly, expecting the press corps to grow brains and
learn that there's more than one poster child to show off is just not
realistic.  Linux currently has the spotlight and the press is going
to continue to focus the spotlight in one place, at least for awhile,
because that's what the press does.  They're not TRYING to present a
balanced viewpoint here and rarely do, they're just trying to get some
of that Linux buzz on themselves and show that they're "hip" too in
covering it.  I've had press people tell me directly that they know
about FreeBSD but they have no desire to confuse their audience by
focusing on more than one free OS since their audience is still trying
to come to grips with the idea of any OS being free at all.  I don't
have to like this, but I also can't say I blame them.  One sound bite,
one poster child, one solid 15 minutes of fame at a time - that's how
the game works.

As an example, anyone here ever see People Magazine and their "sexiest
man alive" cover feature they like to run on the news stands every few
months?  I remember it was Mel Gibson just a few months ago, as I
stood there with my Ben and Jerry's slowly melting and waiting for
check-out, and just the other day it was now Leonard DiCaprio.  Mel
Gibson is, as far as I know, still alive and well but evidently he's
no longer sexy if we believe People Magazine, my point simply being
that the press is NOT about balanced coverage and expecting it to be
is, frankly, the height of stupidity.  The press is about hype, and
hype works best when it's concentrated.

Given time, I expect that people both inside and outside the press
will get tired of Linux since even the most aggressive press agent has
a hard time getting it to stay focused on anything (just ask the
artist formerly known as Prince) and it will be our 15 minutes on
stage, assuming that we don't screw it up.

- Jordan