Date:      Tue, 30 May 1995 21:45:07 -0700
From:      Gary Palmer <gpalmer@westhill.cdrom.com>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Boot disks insane?

In message <199505310414.WAA00245@rover.village.org>, Warner Losh writes:
>I just grabbed boot.flp and root.flp from the 2.0.5-ALPHA directory on
>ftp.freebsd.org (yes, it has been released, but the announcement is
>stuck in mailq hell, I'm told).

Yep.

>Anyway, I can't boot root.flp, and its size is quite odd (392,704
>bytes) Should these have been .gz?  Or am I just immagining things and
>need to refetch them?

The root.flp is just the tools needed to get the system up and running
a bit more smoothly than with what's on the boot.flp. It used to be
`cpio.flp', but we changed the name as everyone wondered what the fsck
cpio was, and why I needed a floppy full of it! Also, there used to be
a kernel on the root disk, but with kzip'd kernels now, we can have a
full generic kernel on the boot disk, and hence the kernel on the
root(/cpio) disk is gone and the root.flp image is noticably smaller
:-)

Gary