Date:      Thu, 23 Jul 1998 16:32:51 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        Johann Visagie <wjv@cityip.co.za>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Free software and politics (Forwarded from lucio@proxima.alt.za)

Terry Lambert wrote:

> > The posting has resulted in a fairly lively thread, including the predictable
> > flames (including one from a Microsoft employee) about "free" software having
> > a higher cost of ownership, no support, no continuity, etc. etc.
>
> I would actually be interested in reading this -- is it archived on
> the net somewhere (via hypermail or whatever)?

I'd like to see it as well.  I once wrote one of these, a comparison of
the costs of installing my Security Toolkit/UNIX product vs. COPS for
a largish network of UNIX servers and workstations.  We came out on top,
by far, but that was the whole point, wasn't it?

It'd be interesting to hear what the Evil Empire has to say about cost
of ownership of NT vs. FreeBSD/Linux/anything on the planet that doesn't
crash daily.

FreeBSD vs. NT anecdote:

I was chatting with a friend at Intel here in town yesterday, and I
asked him about the source code server I setup before I left.  He said
they've bought several more Perforce licenses since I left; they have
some engineers from a site in California and one from Oregon using
it over the intranet now.  Other that installing the license file, they
haven't touched it since I left.  This is (amusingly enough) a K5-133
running 2.2.5 + a couple of security updates, and hasn't been rebooted
since they changed its IP address on Jan 20.  ;^)

This machine originally ran NT Workstation 4.0, but was crashing and
eating its disk drive, physically ruining the disk, about every 5 weeks.
Since I installed FreeBSD on a new IDE drive, it has been rock-solid
stable.  The machine also runs Apache 1.1(something) with a few local
HTML pages for testing against, and ftpd.

So yes, Intel Corp. is an official FreeBSD user too.