Date:      Tue, 27 Feb 1996 09:13:38 +0100
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.tfs.com>
To:        Lyndon Nerenberg VE7TCP <lyndon@orthanc.com>
Cc:        Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IP filtering strawman, comments please.

>     >> Interface matches name Interface matches IP.
>
>     Joe> IF it is easy to do, "Interface matches type" (i.e. driver
>     Joe> type, let's say you want to toss a filter on ALL "ppp" or
>     Joe> "sl" devices).
>
>     Joe> "drop all routing packets coming in via SLIP"
>
> I think what you really want (and what I would like to have) is a
> "class" mechanism for grouping interfaces. E.g. I have several PPP
> connections, some of which need full outside access, and some don't.
> Keying off the link layer protocol isn't fine-grained enough for
> my purposes. On the other hand, I don't want to see this get bogged
> down in needless complexity.

It would be (very) easy to make it possible to say
	deny udp from any to any 520 via ppp*

I have no problem with adding support for "DWIM" keywords like
	deny all >routing< bla bla bla
if somebody will only tell me what this translates to.  In the case
of routing I can see at least:
	udp:520, icmp redirects, igrp, egp, ...

whois: [PHK]                | phk@ref.tfs.com       TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
Future will arrive by its own means, progress not so.