Date:      Tue, 21 May 1996 14:49:45 +0000
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.tfs.com>
To:        chris@vader.org (Chris Dabrowski)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Crack problem with MD5 passwd file?

Hi Chris,

Your post got forwarded to me, please post this reply if it makes sense...

> Is there any way of using Crack with the international version of FreeBSD?
> When I try running it I get the following errors:
>
> Is the problem due to the international version using MD5 encryption whilst
> the US one uses DES? If so are there any other programs that achieve the
> same results?

You will need to teach crack about our passwords, the changes you need
to make are:

	1. they are longer.

	2. You need to use the libcrypt.a version of crypt(), cracks
	optimised crypt() doesn't work.

Poul-Henning

> >From "out.pid":
> join: Rejected /etc/master.passwd:paul:****PASSWORD REMOVED****:1006:1000::0:
0:Paul Civati,Surrey,Private,:/home/paul:/usr/local/bin/tcsh: does not have 8 f
ields

> >From "out.hostname.pid":
> pwc: May 19 18:53:00 Crack v4.1f: The Password Cracker, (c) Alec D.E. Muffett
, 1992
> pwc: May 19 18:53:00 Version of crypt() being used internally is not compatib
le with standard.
> pwc: May 19 18:53:00 This could be due to byte ordering problems - see the co
mments in Sources/conf.h
> pwc: May 19 18:53:00 If there is another reason for this, edit the source to
remove this assertion.
> pwc: May 19 18:53:00 Terminating...

whois: [PHK]                | phk@ref.tfs.com       TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
Future will arrive by its own means, progress not so.