Date:      Sun, 22 Aug 1999 17:02:28 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        Igor Roshchin <igor@physics.uiuc.edu>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: multiple machines in the same network

On Sun, 22 Aug 1999, Igor Roshchin wrote:

> > On Sat, 21 Aug 1999, Wes Peters wrote:
> >
> > > You obviously didn't follow the links.  The HP ProCurve I mentioned is $1880
> > > for 40 switched 10/100 ports with layer 3 functionality and VLAN support.
> > > That's $47 port port, much lower than your $250/port, with a LOT more performance
> > > also.  The Tolly Group recently tested it and found it capable of sustaining
> > > full wire speed on all 40 ports.  I'll just be your PCI-bus box isn't going
> > > to hit 4 Gbps throughput.
> >

> This is far away from the original question, but I just was told
> by my friend who bought 3 such switches just a few months ago,
> that the _rebate_ _ended_ at the end of _June_ (unless they started a new one).
> Also, HP is rather slow on rebates - he still hasn't received anything
> from HP.  However he like these switches so far, and recommended it to me
> even at their original price.

I think they started up another one that is good till the end of this
month.  Usually what rebates mean, though, is that they are planning
to slash the retail price soon.

-- Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
   FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet.
   For Intel x86 and Alpha architectures (SPARC under development).
   ( http://www.freebsd.org )

   "One should admire Windows users.  It takes a great deal of
    courage to trust Windows with your data."