Date:      Sat, 03 Feb 2001 19:23:52 -0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        "David Schwartz" <davids@webmaster.com>
Cc:        "Brett Glass" <brett@lariat.org>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Conduct Unbecoming a Core Team Member

"David Schwartz" wrote:

> > For several weeks now, a Core Team member whom I don't
> > know personally -- one Peter Wemm -- appears to be engaging
> > in a practice somewhere between spamming and mail bombing.
> > Each time I post a message to any mailing list to which
> > he happens to subscribes (including not only several FreeBSD
> > lists but also some others), an autoresponder sends a copy
> > of it back to me with a rude message plus reams of headers
> > attached. (An example appears below.)
>
> 	IMO, regardless of who is doing it or why, autoresponding to posts to a
> mailing list should be grounds for removal from that mailing list.
>
> 	DS

For what it's worth, this is the procmail script I had.  I dont believe
it was mailbombing - no more than one reply for each message he sent me.

:0
* ^From:.*brett@lariat.org
| /home/peter/Mail/goaway.sh brett@lariat.org

$ more ~/Mail/goaway.sh
#! /bin/sh
domain="your domain"
(cat << EOF
From: goaway@$domain
To: $1
Subject: your email was received and ignored

In case you dont get it, please go away and stop filling my mailbox!
Your ignored email is appended below and being returned unread:
---
EOF
cat
) | sendmail -f nobody@$domain $1

In hindsight, I should have excluded stuff on the freebsd lists.
I apologize for the inconvenience. I have disabled it completely.

Cheers,
-Peter