Date:      Wed, 23 Jul 1997 07:16:39 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb>
To:        pechter@lakewood.com
Cc:        softweyr@xmission.com, freebsd-chat
Subject:   Re: FTC regulating use of registrations

moved to chat:

(please note that no masculine or feminine pronouns or nouns are used ;)

once upon a time, their existed the "nuclear family" in a land called
america.  the "nuclear family" consisted of one parent whose primary
duty was to produce an income that would house and feed the family.
the other parent's primary duty was to care for the children.

kid sick at school?  there was a parent available to care for the child.
same was true of little league, parent-teacher conferences and PTA meetings.
parents were involved in their churches, schools and community.

because one parent had the time to do these things.

then a blight came upon the land.

both parents started to have a primary duty of producing income
(there were a variety of reasons, of course, some good, some not so good)
childcare became a secondary priority of both parents, and the primary
duty of none.   some tried out-sourcing parenting to low wage "nannies".
(had to be low wage, else out-sourcing would have been an economic loss)
churches, schools and communities lost the volunteer parents that had
made the system work.

liberal or conservative, many of us grew up in the 50's and 60's in
that style of "nuclear family".

that's is one element that is missing today, much to detriment of our
children.

its takes parents to raise a child
it takes caring neighbors to watch out for the children when
the parents are absent.  at some point they inevitably will be.
it takes family and friends that will let the children sleep over
once in while, so the parents can enjoy their relationship without
the delays in intrusions that children impose.  (anyone with children
that has not lost most of a week's sleep to flu, measles or another
ailment?  anyone with children that has not lost a romantic evening
to an uncooperative child?   anyone that does not occassionly long
for the days before children, when the world was only two people,
the sun always shone brightly upon the land?)

jmb