Date:      Sat, 22 Feb 2003 11:47:39 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        chuck odonnell <cao@bus.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Verizon DSL & FreeBSD?

On Friday 21 February 2003 12:11 pm, chuck odonnell wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 21, 2003 at 10:31:15AM -0800, Kent Stewart wrote:
> > I also don't user Verizon for an ISP because they don't permit
> > local servers.
>
> i'm guessing you're talking about the inconvenient way some Cable/DSL
> ISPs block incoming connections on common server ports (25, 80)?

Actually, it is a clause for termination on most networks that cover=20
homes. When Code Red hit, I was told by my old ISP that I was in=20
violation of their TOS. I was seeing x,000 hits a day and when it got=20
that high, they noticed. When several of the search engines start=20
indexing my system at the same time, the hit count also goes up. The=20
old ISP also told me that I could run a casual web server when I signed=20
up. Their TOS says you have to have it in writing, which I didn't. When=20
the hit count reached some rate, I appeared to have crossed their magic=20
barrier separating casual-personal and business oriented.

Verizon locally doesn't use a ppp based setup. My local ISP provides two=20
static IPs and up to 20 via dhcp. When my DSL line doesn't work, I call=20
Verizon's 888...1234 # and they work with me while I am on the=20
telephone, which has been typically 2-4 am. If they can't fix it that=20
way, Verizon tells me it will be fixed by 7 pm that day and a repairman=20
shows up.=20

The people on the East side of the Columbia River have Qwest and in the=20
past, they had the reputation of taking days on simple repairs. I don't=20
have any idea how they deal with repairs at this point because the=20
computer oriented people that I knew have all moved out of the area.=20
The only person left doesn't know how to get into his bios. When he=20
gets back from 3-weeks in M=E9xico, we are going to work on that :). I=20
think that is similar to not letting one of the kids drive alone until=20
they can prove they can change a flat tire.

> usually this is only a real annoyance because you can't set up a mail
> server for your incoming SMTP email. if you have access to an outside
> Internet server, and you run postfix on it -- you can route incoming
> mail through the outside server, and using the postfix transport
> table forward the mail to a sendmail or postfix instance running on a
> high port on your internal server. works great!

I use kmail on kde-3. My ISP is Linux based and is running SpamAssasin.=20
I can use it and not have to figure out how to make everything run. It=20
all depends on the irritation factor. When it reaches some point, I=20
will do what you are doing.

> ...or like you said, just don't use that ISP :)

That is always a choice.=20

It appears I have missed a number of comments on this because I wasn't=20
cc'ed.

Kent
=2D-=20
Kent Stewart