Date:      Wed, 15 Sep 1999 17:27:08 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Jos Vissers <jos@islay.demon.nl>
To:        Greg.Quinlan@swlct.sthames.nhs.uk
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Remote system upgrade via NFS problems.

Greg Quinlan wrote:
> > I upgrade 3 machines from one buildworld.
> > A has all the source in /vol/src/FreeBSD-stable/src, it exports /vol/src.
> > B has /scratch/obj, it exports /scratch.
> > /vol/src is mounted on B and C.
> > /usr/src is linked to /vol/src/FreeBSD-stable/src on all 3 machines.
> > /scratch is mounted on A and C.
> > /usr/obj is linked to /scratch/obj on all 3 machines.
> >
> > I do a buildworld on B and then installworld on all three machines
> > (in single used mode)
> > It works fine.
> >
> Why wouldn't you have all src on A in /usr/src export /usr/src
> Have /usr/obj on A aswell, export /usr/obj (if it's not a space problem)
> Mount exports from A (/usr/src & /usr/obj) on B and C in the same directory
> paths.
>
> Do a buildworld on A and installworld on B & C
>
> Should work fine also.

Because machine B is the fastest of them all and machine A has all the
important filesystems (home src etc...).
The reason for a /vol/src is that this way if I want to build a
-current machine I can just link /usr/src to /vol/src/FreeBSD-current/src
instead of .../FreeBSD-stable/src.
/scratch on machine B is a wipeable 1GB partition that I can use for
anything from (several) buildworld trees to cd images.
Nothing important is on machine B since it occasionally runs another
OS the name of which I will not mention, but the fdisk that comes with
this other OS has it's "peculiarities"...
But your sugestion will work fine none the less, I just like to things
different then other people sometimes. I do believe there is a word for
that ;-)

Jos

--
# jos@islay.demon.nl # Jos Vissers        # I'm not here, you may leave #
#                    # Veldsestraat 5     # a message after the beep... #