Date:      Sat, 12 Mar 2005 18:27:21 -0800
From:      Joshua Tinnin <krinklyfig@spymac.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Aperez <alfredoj69@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Why not?

On Saturday 12 March 2005 09:38 am, Aperez <alfredoj69@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello everybdody
>
> I read an interview of Linus Torvald made by Linux Magazine. In that
> interview Linus mentioned the following:
>
> "On the other hand, no, Linux does not have that stupid notion of
> having totally separate kernel development for different issues. If
> you want a secure BSD, you get OpenBSD; if you want a usable BSD, you
> get FreeBSD; and if you want BSD on other architectures, you get
> NetBSD. That___s just idiotic, to have different teams worry about
> different things."
>
> I dont want to critize what Linus stated above. However, I find a
> very valid point when he says that every BSD version team is woking
> in different directions.
>
> My question is this:
>
> Why not all three teams work together for just one BSD version?
>
> At the moment there are three groups of developers and users working
> in the same issues. I think if we should all work together and create
> well rounded BSD version for us users and corporate clients. Imagine
> a BSD version that is portable (NetBSD), that is very secured
> (OpenBSD) and that is a good Destop solution (FreeBSD).

The way I look at it is this (these are the circumstances which matter
to me - YMMV). When I want to install BSD on embedded hardware or Apple
hardware, I use NetBSD. When I want to install BSD on a box to use as a
dedicated firewall, network logging/snort machine, or other security
apparatus, I use OpenBSD. When I want to install BSD on a box to use as
a server or a desktop/workstation, I install FreeBSD.

When I want to use Linux as a desktop (I haven't installed any Linux
servers for a while now), I use Slackware. If I recommend a beginner
Linux distro to a newbie, it's usually Mandrake or SuSE. If I recommend
an enterprise Linux distro, it's usually RedHat. If I recommend a Linux
distro that is for more experienced users, I'd recommend Debian, Gentoo
or (my personal preference) Slackware. However, if any of those people
are comfortable with *nix but are looking for something different, like
maybe they would appreciate an OS developed cohesively, rather than a
kernel with various distros which add any of a variety of userland
tools, I recommend FreeBSD. If they find they like it, then I tell them
about the more specialized flavors.

Linus is free to disagree with the direction BSD has taken over the
years. However, I'm a bit surprised he's knocking the forking of code.
Isn't that an inherent strength of open source? He's free to develop in
his own manner, which has proven to be successful for his particular
concept, but it's strength is that it's chaotic and allows a variety of
userland configurations and setups. BSD is more disciplined but rigid
in its choice of userland tools, which is its strength. The issue of
code forking is ancillary, and the history is somewhat political, but
the teams all share code and concepts.

I'm not sure why this is a problem for anyone. However, if you think, as
an example, Theo de Raadt should give up OpenBSD and come back to
develop for FreeBSD, then feel free to drop him an email, as well as
the core FreeBSD team. Oh, and make sure to let us know how it goes ;)

- jt