Date:      Mon, 15 Jul 1996 23:50:06 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        jamah@cs.rpi.edu (Jon Mah)
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, jamah@cs.rpi.edu, questions@FreeBSD.org, bugs@FreeBSD.org, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 2.1.5 installation does not work.

As Jon Mah wrote:

> 	This is an idea I was hypothesizing about, since
> I know that the 2.0/2.1 FTP installs have worked fine for me,
> would it be possible to use a boot disk from 2.0 (or 2.1) and
> change the release to be retrieved to "2.1.5-RELEASE".

Alas, this won't work.  2.0.5 and 2.1 used to have this mysterious
``root floppy'' which has been eliminated now.  The crucial part is
the the `inf' files used to live on just that floppy, but are now
scattered through the dist directories.  (They contain the information
about the number of files to load, size, and checksum.)

--
cheers, J"org