Date:      Thu, 26 Sep 2019 17:29:27 +0100
From:      tech-lists <tech-lists@zyxst.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports and packages installed on one system, how to make pkg only

--O5XBE6gyVG5Rl6Rj

Hello Matthew,

On Thu, Sep 26, 2019 at 04:59:27PM +0100, Matthew Seaman wrote:

>A pkg is what you get from compiling a port.  Once the port is installed
>it's a pkg and there's no functional difference from a pkg installed
>from one of the package repositories.
>
>Or, in other words, just update your machine from the pkg repos.  It
>will replace anything that's out of date, no problem.  There's no
>particular need to force an update on all packages -- if it's already
>there and working OK, then my inclination would be to leave it be.

What's of particular concern for me is that the machine had this in its
/etc/make.conf when it was building it's own ports:

DEFAULT_VERSIONS+=3Dpython=3D2.7

I've since removed it.

Since then, the machine has been brought to 12R-p10 and I've made a poudrie=
re
instance for it on different hardware which has nothing special in its own=
=20
make.conf. I fed it a ports list obtained on the client through=20
*portmaster --list-origins | sort -u | tee portslist.txt*, transferred that=
poudriere and it built the ports, and all the flavoured python ones were py=
36-*

So, if I *pkg upgrade -f* on the client (which now knows to use my poudriere
instance), would it be reasonable for me to expect all py27* to be upgraded=
=20
to py36*, without stuff breaking?

thanks,
--=20