Date:      Fri, 29 Aug 1997 04:07:14 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Joost Schuur <jschuur@onlinemagic.net>
Cc:        ftp-stats@wcarchive.cdrom.com, tech@cdrom.com, chat@freebsd.org, jc@crl.com
Subject:   Re: Dual Log Stats - 1997/08/29

>>The previous record of 185GB was set on June 26th. The extremely high total
>>for idgames2 (and the cause of the new record) is due to the release of the
>>"Hexen 2" game. We were at our 2000 user limit almost immediately when the
>>game was put up (about 12:15PM PDT) and stayed at the limit for the rest of
>>the day.
>
>   it would appear the activision web site didn't list any other mirror sites
>other than wcarchive for the whole day and even worse, one of their own ftp
>sites
>went down right after the release. i've supplied activision's webmaster a list
>of additional ftp sites that carry the demo, so they can ease the load on
>ftp.cdrom.com.

   As others have said, this isn't a problem and I'm not the least bit unhappy
about it. The load does point out that we will need to perform another
hardware upgrade at some point, however - on a "normal" day we often have
around 1600 users on at any time, so it doesn't take much to put us at the 2000
limit. It would be nice if we had enough reserve capacity to handle special
days like yesterday. I estimate that we could have handled everyone (not
turned anyone away) if the limit had instead been around 3000. The main
problem is lack of main memory, but we're pretty much out of CPU cycles at
2000 users as well.

-DG

David Greenman