Date:      Mon, 11 Feb 2013 13:29:12 +0000
From:      David Chisnall <theraven@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Fabian Keil <freebsd-listen@fabiankeil.de>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org, Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
Subject:   Re: 7+ days of dogfood

On 11 Feb 2013, at 10:48, Fabian Keil <freebsd-listen@fabiankeil.de> =
wrote:

> It's unfortunate that the builworld time roughly trippled since
> 2010 but I guess that's progress and a more powerful system
> should fix it. I certainly welcome clang in general, though.

In that case, it's worth noting that you can shave a fair bit off the =
build time by not building gcc.  WITHOUT_GCC=3Dyes in src.conf is =
worthwhile.  WITHOUT_GDB=3Dyes is probably also sensible, as the gdb in =
base is so old that it doesn't understand most of the DWARF that clang =
uses.  We should have lldb ready for import in a few months, but until =
then using gdb from ports is more sensible if you plan on actually doing =
any debugging.

As we transition to a GPL-free base system, we're going to have some =
fairly long windows where we have the old GNU tool and its replacement =
both in base.  Over time, the old ones will be removed, but not until =
the newer ones are well tested.  This, of course, happens faster if =
people are running systems where they are the only option...

David