Date:      Fri, 3 Nov 2000 20:21:19 -0600
From:      "Scot W. Hetzel" <hetzels@westbend.net>
To:        "John Heyer" <john@snake.supranet.net>, <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Frontpage, ScriptAlias, and .htaccess files

From: "John Heyer" <john@snake.supranet.net>
> I'm trying to run FP2000 Extensions on a new 4.1.1 server.  I installed
> apache-fp from packages, followed the instructions, and created a test
> root web.  When I went to publish, it told me FP extentions weren't
> installed.  I fixed this with
>
> ScriptAlias /_vti_bin/ "/usr/local/frontpage/version4.0/exes/_vti_bin/"

You don't need this with the apache-fp port, as mod_frontpage takes care of
rewriting the request to use the FP Exts in
/usr/local/frontpage/version4.0/.

I added this into my working apache13-fp server and it had no effect on the
operation of the FP exts on the server.

> So then I was able to publish; the problem was it never prompted me for a
> username and password.  I'm assuming that this somehow caused the
> .htaccess files to be ignored, which is a mystery since I have
>
> <Directory "/www/docs">
> Options Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews IncludesNOEXEC
> AllowOverride AuthConfig Limit Indexes Options
> Order allow,deny
> Allow from all
> </Directory>

At first I thought it was the "Options" that were set causing the problem,
but I put your "Options" in to my httpd.conf and restarted the server, and I
had no problem connecting to the Apache server with Frontpage.

I even changed my user webs to use:

    Options Indexes IncludesNOEXEC
    AllowOverride AuthConfig Limit Indexes Options

And they had no problem either (was "Options ExecCGI").

www.testsite.com/~unixusername
> it *does* prompt for authentication, then tells me parsing isn't working
> once I authenticate.
>

> Does anybody know how to fix this?  I noticed several post in the archives
> describing the exact same problem, but never saw a definative solution.

Make sure your servertype is "apache-fp" in we80.cnf:
    vti_encoding:SR|utf8-nl
    frontpageroot:/usr/local/frontpage/version4.0
    authoring:enabled
    servertype:apache-fp
    serverconfig:/usr/local/etc/apache/httpd.conf

Are there _vti* directories in your document root?

What errors do you get in your httpd-error.log (without your ScriptAlias
change), when you connect with Frontpage?

You may want to try modifying httpd.conf-dist (ie replace document root and
userdir with your settings) and see if that will work.

Scot