Date:      Sat, 21 Feb 2004 12:58:13 +0100
From:      Niel <niel@telia.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:    I have a dream, of a help/manual/doc system, which is simple to use?

Written 21st january 2004.

I have a dream, of a help/manual/doc system, which is simple to use?

I have a dream, of a help/manual/doc system, which is simple, and yet=20
comprehensive to use.

When I need help to some question, when using freebsd, I often get very=20
confused, and cannot find out how to do it.

Often I find some manual, but then pages and pages start scrolling past m=
y=20
eyes, and soon I am very confused, and my brain looses track of what it=20
trying to do. Often there is some tecnical abbreviations mixed into the=20
explanation, which we do not know at all, what is!

There exist a very comprehensive documentation for freebsd, man, faq etc.=
 So=20
far, that is very good. Leave it as it is. That is okay for later reading=
=2E

But what I am searching for, is very short manuals for every topic and=20
program. How to install it, where the files are sitting, how to set-up.
Just a very simple example, for just to get a basic program running. And =
also=20
a very basic example for using the program, so you at least are getting i=
t up=20
and running. Then you can later experiment with more complicated items og=
 the=20
programs.

I am also in search for a very big handbook, with cross reference word, f=
or=20
ALL words. So you can find out, where to look, every thinkable word you m=
ight=20
meet, when installing and using freebsd.

I am a newbee, and I cannot simply remember, where I last read -or found =
a=20
subject. I mean, most endusers simply do not have such a glue brain, that=
=20
they can remember. (Many times they simply tells themselves: "Let me stay=
=20
with windows. That I am used to.)

I have tried using linux red hat, caldera and suse, and I have now begun =
using=20
FreeBSD, and I find it the best system so far, with the most easy help=20
system. Nothing wrong with that.

To sum up. Please simple manuals for all the some 6.000 programs, shell=20
commands, etc, with lots of simple to understand examples, so one at leas=
t=20
can get started.

This is just a newbees hottest wish.

Even Microsoft have not yet found out, how important above is. It is the =
alpha=20
and omega, for using operating systems and programs, for ordinary people.=
 ( I=20
have even found the same problems in manuals for tv, video and so on. )

I mean many people have difficulties just reading a simple explanation.

It is okay, to make very sophisticated programs, but it is as important, =
that=20
the enduser can find out, how to use it.

And, please use simple English words. We enduser come from all parts of t=
he=20
world, and do not all have the English language as our native language. A=
nd=20
please no humour! :-) If you live in Africa, you do not know American sla=
ng?

Yes, I still have a dream .....    *smiling - positive*

Regards,=20

A freebsd "Grassroot", hoping to saw just a tiny seed in some smart=20
programmers mind, so we can start begin really using UNIX type operating=20
systems, instead og windows 98!   *serious - thinking - :-) *