Date:      Sun, 5 Jul 1998 17:24:17 +1300
From:      "Dan Langille" <junkmale@xtra.co.nz>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   do I need a POP server for this?

Hi!

FreeBSD was recommended to me by a another user. I've installed it on an old 486
to act as the gateway and firewall for my home network.  The fbsd box is connected
to my ISP via an ADSL ethernet over my phone line and uses DHCP.  The IP
assigned seems to be static for a given MAC address.  It took about 8 days to set all
of that up.  Most of the problem was understanding that I had to install DHCP.  I plan
to write up what I've learned and post it somewhere so other newbies can benefit from
it.

My home net consists of the freebd box and two NT boxes.  At present, they go out
directly to the ISP to grab the mail.  I don't plan to change that situation.  I'm using
Pegasus which allows mail to be obtained from multiple mail servers.  I'd like to set
my freebsd box up so that I can read the mail which fbsd generates (the logs etc).
>From various sources, I've concluded I should I be installing a POP server.  But which
one would you recommend given what I wish to do?

cheers
--
Dan Langille
DVL Software Limited