Date:      Thu, 10 Oct 2002 18:17:26 +0200
From:      Alex <freebsd-reply@akruijff.dds.nl>
To:        Andy Sporner <sporner@nentec.de>
Cc:        Alex <freebsd-reply@akruijff.dds.nl>, freebsd-cluster@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re[2]: newbie

Hello/Beste Andy,

AS> Alex wrote:

>>Hello/Beste freebsd-cluster,
>>
>>Hi i'm new to the list. I noticed the cluster project when i looked at
>>the mail list. Can you give me any pointers on where to look? Is the
>>cluster project ready for use?
>>
>>I have to setup/build a cluster for my university. The main purpose of
>>the cluster is to show the cluster properties to other students. We
>>got a number of sparc64 computers available for this task. (I'm
>>considering early use of FreeBSD 5.0)
>>
AS> First I am not clear if there is a specific "Project".  There is
AS> the  cluster software I have been working on, which is failover
AS> software, and then there is the Beowulf type--which you have to
AS> get somewhere else.

AS> As I see it they are probably different ports.

AS> If you want failover,  check here: http://www.sporner.com/freebsdclusters

AS> otherwise, check for a Beowulf port.

AS> I still intend to write a futures paper for the next version
AS> (including  process swapping across machines--towards where VMS
AS> clusters are).

AS> Andy

Thanks for writing. We tried to install the DP1 have decided not to
use FreeBSD. We have to use 5.0 if we want to use FreeBSD because of
the platform. The FreeBSD 5.0 cd is the only one rigth now that can
boot but it doesn't mount the CD.

This cluster has to be Beowulf, do things like compile code, convert
lots of wav files to mp3, ect.

--
Best regards/Met vriendelijke groet,
Alex