Date:      Wed, 01 Nov 2000 16:16:23 -0600
From:      Bob Martin <bob@inu.net>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: About introducing newbies to FreeBSD

---> snip <----

> Do you have any comments on this? I'd love to hear them.
>
> Cheers,
> /Micke
>
> ----------------------------------
> Michael Josefsson, MSEE
> mj@isy.liu.se
>
> This message was sent by XFMail
> running on FreeBSD 3.5-STABLE
> ----------------------------------

I think the context of the "newbie" is the real issue here. Years ago I
watched a friend, with tons of Apple (NOT MacIntosh) experience give up
on an install of Win95. I have never met an Irix, SCO, DEC Unix, or
Solaris admin that had trouble installing xBSD, but have seen members of
that same group fight with installs of both Linux and NT. FreeBSD
"inherited" it's installation concept from BSD, which in turn, was based
on AT&T Unix. So there is a similarity in the way Unices derived from
that environment behave.

Since most of our new users come to us from either Windows or Linux, we
need an installation program that is a lot more like the ones that
they've used in the past. I've often wondered how many users we loose
while they are trying to load the OS. What I would really like to see is
a FreeBSD installer on par with the UnixWare 7 or Tru64 5.0 installers.
(A clone of SCO Admin would be nice too!) Failing that, we probably need
something that looks more like a Linux installer, or a really good
rosetta stone.

--
Bob Martin