Date:      Tue, 13 Aug 1996 01:19:03 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Gary Clark II <gclarkii@main.gbdata.com>
To:        brandon@tombstone.sunrem.com (Brandon Gillespie)
Cc:        michaelh@cet.co.jp, avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au, danny@panda.hilink.com.au, sos@freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, ipfilter@coombs.anu.edu.au
Subject:   Re: Load-balancing box

Brandon Gillespie wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Aug 1996, Michael Hancock wrote:
> >
> > webserverA is what DNS advertises.  webservers 1 to 3 have mirrored
> > content.
> >

> Wouldn't it be simpler to hack the name daemon to do the load balancing,
> so when they lookup 'www.xxx.yyy' it picks a machine and directs them to
> the IP for 'wwwX.xxx.yyy'?  From that point on you dont care what they are
> doing.  I know VMS can cluster like this, without a problem (through
> MultiNet).

Part of the problem is going to be cacheing of ip numbers by systems. Plus
older system will only take the first IP address given to them and toss
the rest.  Both of these can cause one system to get beaten up on.

--
Gary Clark II   (N5VMF) |    I speak only for myself and "maybe" my company
gclarkii@GBData.COM     |          Member of the FreeBSD Doc Team