Date:      Thu, 26 Aug 1999 11:21:59 -0400
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        Jeff Baker <Jeff.Baker@ACADHOTLINE.net.au>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Newbee

At 12:12 AM 8/27/99 +0930, Jeff Baker wrote:

>What I did:
>        - Idownloaded several directories from freebsb 2 days ago

If you wanted to do a net install, you should only need to download 2
floppy disks.

>        - I downloaded lots of html & other docs inc the handbook.
>        - I started reading....
>        - I screwed up the install / config a couple of times
>                (ie didn't read fast enough and / or assumed defaults would
>work)
>
>Where I'm at
>        - stuffed if I know..
>        - I can boot either DOS or FreeBSD on the machine.
>        - I have set up a couple of user names
>        - I went thru a couple of docs which helped me decide on some IP
>settings etc.
>        - still not sure how to check if my ethernet card is being
>recognised...did I get the IRQ correct etc etc?

What sort of ethernet card is it ? If its PCI, you dont need to worry about
that.

See www.apache.org

> My Questions:
>        - How do I know what to do next
>        - Do I really have to read 100's pages of jibberish to try & figure
>out what to do?

Yes.

>        - is there a short version of a setup guide (with refs to more info
>if required)

The handbook at www.freebsd.org is the way to go, and the mailling lists
contain answers to probably every questions ever asked.  Go to
www.dejanews.com, click on power search, for the forms, enter in
mailing.freebsd.*,comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.* and enter in any keywords that
describe your topic, and read, read, read.

>        - do I really have to understand all these terms / acronyms  etc to
>set up a web server.....

A lot of it, yes.

>        - While MS bloatware has bugs, requires heaps of resources, prob not
>secure etc etc.....at least it is
>           easy to install and get setup, even if a user doesn't know what
>they are doing (and there are lots of

*SEEMINGLY* easy.  You can easily point and click your way to oblivion in
NT.  The pretty interface etc, seemingly isolates you from underlying
concepts, but in the end, you need to understand things conceptual with NT,
just as much as you need to with UNIX.

See,
http://www.freebsd.org/projects/newbies.html
And
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/3.2-RELEASE/floppies/README.TXT
on how to do a net Install.

When you run into problems, post to the questions mailing list, and make
sure you give enough detail for people to quickly help you out.  Vague
things like, "Help, I am stuck, its not working" generally get ignored.
But if you post things like,
"I am having problems with my ethernet card.  It is a ne2000, at 0x340, IRQ
10. I defined it in my kernel as follows.  Here is my dmesg output on
bootup. I tried ifconfig ed0 inet 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0, but I
get the following error"  and so on.

And, be sure to look through the mailing list archives.  Chances are,
someone had the same problem as you did at one time, and the answer will be
there. www.dejanews.com is your oracle.

And, be sure to look through the mailing list archives.  Chances are,
someone had the same problem as you did at one time, and the answer will be
there. www.dejanews.com is your oracle.

	---Mike