Date:      Mon, 4 Mar 1996 12:28:11 -0600
From:      Jim Lowe <james@miller.cs.uwm.edu>
To:        jason@scott.net, twcutter@mowgli.wr.usgs.gov
Cc:        kallio@cc.jyu.fi, multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New meteor driver

. I have the URL to get the Quick Cam patches:
. http://www.crynwr.com:80/qcpc/
.
. I believe it was posted here previously.  They work for me. It
. only has nv support in vic.  One change I needed to make was to wire
. the lpt port address. The autodetect failed. Don't know if anyone has
. added h.261 support?  Performance of the driver needs to improve.  Really
. needs to be made into a kernel driver.
. 			- Tom Cutter

It should be fairly easy to get h.261 support.  Nv uses yuv 4:2:2 format
and h.261 uses yuv 4:1:1.  Since the qcam is greyscale (either 4 or 6 bits --
if I remember), then you basically have 4:0:0 with 4 or 6 bit resolution on
the Y component.

I suspect you will have to scale this Y component somewhat, and the U/V
components would be set to zero, other than that -- it should be easy to
create the grabber.  There are several grabbers that you can use for
an example.  The meteor grabber probably isn't the best since the 7196
supports random frame sizes.  The spigot or the sun vpix would probably
be better examples on how to support a qcam interface.

If I ever get a qcam here I will probably take a look at the code
if someone hasn't done this already.

. > >
. > > YES Please! I have QCam here on my desk uninstalled! Waiting for vic
. > > supporting it! ;-)
. > >
. >
. > I have the patches, but have yet to get them to compile under the m-src
. > code.  As a matter of fact I was having troubles getting the vic src in
. > there to compile at all.  I'll try getting the new release.  BTW, I'm
. > running 2.1, should there be any problems????  The patches for qcam that I
. > have are for 2.1.  I can post them somewhere if you want or maybe I can
. > find where I got them.
. >
. > L8r...Jason
. >
.

What sort of problems are you having?  With Make, configure, gcc?
My gmake is 3.73, gcc is 2.6.3.  I am not sure what version of make
I am running.  You will need to ftp the spigot library from
ftp://ftp.cs.uwm.edu/pub/FreeBSD/spigot/spigot.tar.gz and install
libspigot.a in /usr/local/lib, or do a ./configure in the vic tree.

Other than that, all I do a is ``make'' and it compiles.  If you are having
some other problem please let me know.  I would like to make this
as easy as possible for people so we can add drivers and interfaces as
new hardware becomes available.  It would be real cool to add a hardware
mpeg encoder/decoder to vic to compare hardware mpeg performance vs
software h.261 performance.

	-Jim