Date:      Sat, 4 Nov 2000 01:18:23 -0800 (PST)
From:      <freebsdathome@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   make buildworld resets system

I just recently did a fresh install of 4.1.1-stable.
I've been searching the web site for info on compiling
and using a new kernel. I'm finding plenty of info but
its somewhat confusing as this is my first time to try
to compile a new kernel. I've read the handbook
sections for compiling a new kernel. At first I read
the handbook that came with the install and the entry
for compiling and installing a new kernel I thought
said go the make buildkernel, make installkernel route
for 4.0 and up period. I tried that and make
buildkernel failed with errors. I also tried the
GENERIC kernel just to make sure it wasn't MYKERNEL
even after getting a diff and checking for typos. I
read more and thought that was for upgrading only and
tried the config, compile, make depend, make, make
install process. The compile failed. I read some more
and found make buildworld to be done before doing the
make buildkernel, make installkernel. So, I tried a
make buildworld. That caused the system to reboot
about an hour into the build. I've read README,
UPDATING, and the Makefile in /usr/src, the handbook,
and the faq. I'm sure I'm missing something as the
handbook on my system is an older version than the
version on the web site. I've searched the mailling
lists also but still I'm missing something somewhere.
So, whats causing my makes and build to fail or reboot
my system? Any ideas?