Date:      Wed, 31 Oct 2001 21:10:34 +0100 (CET)
From:      Nils Holland <nils@tisys.org>
To:        "Walter C. Pelissero" <walter@pelissero.org>
Cc:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>, <advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: NatWest? no thanks

On Wed, 31 Oct 2001, Walter C. Pelissero wrote:

> I know there are plenty of http filters (not necessarily expensive
> ones) that would let me sneak through the fascist bank's compatibility
> checks.  I could even use Internet Explorer from within a VMWare
> emulator.  That's not the point.

The most annoying point, IMHO, is that what the bank has done is totally
unneccessary. Sounds like one of their IT guys had a little too much time,
probably he's even a relative of Mr Gates, and so he decided to block
"those few" non-Windows users out. Funny, isn't it?

Seriously: I have seen a few sites that kept complaining that my browser
(either Konqueror 2.2.1 or Mozilla 0.9.5) are not supported, but when I
told these browsers to disgusie as something else, I mostly noted that the
page displayed without any (or only with minor) problems. When some online
shop tells me that they won't work with my browser and that I should
install a Microsoft product, GREAT, then I'll simply spend my money
somewhere else.

I always thought that any website (including the that started this thread)
has an interest in being compatible with as many systems as possible, thus
being accessible for the broadest range of people. But if some website
tells me it's not compatible with what I use, then I'll take that as an
invitation to leave and go somewhere else. As a customer, *they* depend on
me more than I depend on them, I think...

Greetings
Nils

Nils Holland
Ti Systems - FreeBSD in Tiddische, Germany
http://www.tisys.org * nils@tisys.org