Date:      Thu, 6 Jun 2002 01:19:27 -0400
From:      Mike Nowlin <mike@argos.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [stable] 4.5-S crashing like clockwork (fwd)

On  0, Miguel Mendez <flynn@energyhq.homeip.net> wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 02, 2002 at 11:38:39PM -0700, Oliver Crow wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> > Mike's box is running Zebra.  Mine is running mpd.  Both packages deal
> > with PPP links.  Also Karl Joch reports the same symptoms on a box running
>        ^^^^^^^^
>
> Okay, this rings a bell. I've seen at least two people in irc mention
> problems with ppp on recent -STABLE, so I think we can discard the hardware
> problem here.

Working on this particular issue, I noticed something that might turn out to
be a really quirky coincidence, or on the other hand, might (remote
possibility) provide a clue...

Started tracking this problem on March 20 - crashes every 24 hours, etc.
Was running a non-debug kernel at the time.  On March 25, I re-compiled the
kernel with debugging, installed it, and did a "shutdown -r now" without a
power toggle.  Of course, now that it was running a debug kernel, it refused
to crash any more - that is, until there was a power outage on May 21.  When
it came back up (again on the debug kernel), the daily crashes started up
again.

Here's the strange part: on June 2, I cvsup'd to 4.6-RC (no debug this time),
rebooted with shutdown -r now, and the crashes continued.  June 4, about 44
hours ago, I recompiled with debugging, installed, and shutdown -r now.
Now, the system missed it's "scheduled" crash about 20 hours ago.  Need to
wait until around 4AM(?) to see if it survives another 24-hour period.  If
it does, I'm going to yank the power on it (simulating another power
failure) and see if the crashes start up again.

Strange point to this message:  Kinda odd that both times I installed
debugging kernels and shutdown -r'd them, the crashes stopped.  Is there
possibly something to this?

Granted - this is FAR from a "scientific" approach to debugging this problem
- basically, this is just something I noticed in my notes that struck me as
odd...  Only reason I even brought it up is that there IS a difference if
you power-cycle, hit reset, or just 3-key it - dmesg output, etc...

mike