Date:      Tue, 25 May 1999 10:22:28 -0700
From:      Eugene Aleynikov <eugene@lioninc.com>
To:        Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installation

Doug Rabson wrote:

> On Mon, 24 May 1999, Eugene Aleynikov wrote:
>
> > Hi!
> >
> > I'm very disappointed that i cant install FreeBSD on my Alpha Station
> > 200
> > I can succesfully install openbsd and linux but freebsd disklabel says:
> > da0: rejecting BSD label: raw partition offset != slice offset
> > da0: start 0, end 4178873, size 4178873
> > da0c: start 2046000, end 2045999, size 0
> >
> > I cant mount fixit floppy because i dont have 2.8Mb floppy drive.
> > (i was booting boot and mfsroot floppies).
> >
> > I dont have emergency shell ot vty4.
> >
> > Fdisk shows valid freebsd partition.
> > Disklabel shows nothing even if i define slices with openbsd installer.
> >
> > I tried almost anything with disklabel - doesnt help.
> >

> > SCSI - NCR 810.
> > Disc - UNISYS U1545 (2Gb).
> >
> > Problem exists in 3.1 and in 3.2 RELEASE.
> >

> > What can i do for you to help to fix that problem?
> > I have strong C experience, and i'm using FreeBSD since 1.0.5-RELEASE.
>
> Exactly which version of FreeBSD are you trying to install?  Does the
> sysinstall program run and if so, can you try deleting the partitions and
> re-creating them in the label editor of sysinstall.

I used EXACTLY 3.1-RELEASE and EXACTLY 3.2-RELEASE as i said.
I did completely disk cleanup and recreation from disklabel (i tried
even A - automatic),.
As soon as i press commit in installation menu, or w in disklabel
program - i'm getting that error message. And disklabel doesnt write
label to disk.
Also disklabel shows that message when it starts, i e when its trying to
read disklabel.