Date:      Tue, 27 Feb 1996 05:44:51 -0500 (EST)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org, taob@io.org
Subject:   Re: SCSI error code 83 and 84, medium errors

> > > sd8(ncr2:2:0): MEDIUM ERROR info:1af3b asc:14,1 Record not found field replaceable unit: 2
>
> > > the third NCR53c810 controller.  Is there anything I should be
> > > worried about now?
>
> > keep a spare drive handy?
>
> Backup and reformat.  There's a scsiformat(8) now handy in /sbin
> (thanks to Peter Dufault).  Seacrate disk can really be formatted.

(Thanks to Joerg Wunsch, if you ask me).

I suggested to Brian off the list that he  watch and not worry
(yet).  He didn't have auto reallocation on, so he was destined to
eventually have a similar problem.  Of course backing up is a good
idea, and if he has any more errors show up I'd look at returning
the disk.  To check for problems he can disable the reallocation
again, and "scrub" the raw drive over night by writing and reading
patterns to and from the raw drive, logging any errors.  If errors
are showing up this will give him the data he needs to insist
Seagate take it back.

--
Peter Dufault               Real-Time Machine Control and Simulation
HD Associates, Inc.         Voice: 508 433 6936