Date:      Mon, 09 Jul 2001 17:07:14 -0400
From:      "Kenneth Mays" <kmays2000@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Benchmarks from SysAdmin mag

Well, Well, Well,

http://www.futuresouth.com/~fullermd/freebsd/bsdvlin.html

This is one of the older links to someone testing FreeBSD 2.x against
Linux 2.0.18. Somewhere between FreeBSD 2.1.5 and 2.2.1 they noticed an
decrease in speed (12.9 versus 6.8). But, they mention a PERSONALIZED kernel
on the faster kernel. The newer generic kernel was only a few notches slower
than Linux. Hmmm.

WHat it boils down to is customer preference. I spent about an hour getting
FreeBSD 4.3_R up and running in which I compiled several programs and
installed Netscape 4.77. Solaris 8_intel didn't seem to like my machine (I
thought it may be the CD so said I'll try again). Mandrake 8.0 loaded nicely
so I won't complain. My problem with Linux is that one does not fit all.
FreeBSD is FreeBSD. Linux distributions depends on the vendor/developer.
Mandrake is Redhat-based but its not Redhat. Others are Debian-based but not
Debian. Then, there is Slackware.
So how can you really claim that Linux is faster than FreeBSD when it
depends on the flavor of Linux you use and other variables?!? The Linux
kernel changes almost GREATLY between versions so Linux 2.2.4 may be larger
different from 2.2.19 (bug-wise). FreeBSD v4.2 and 4.3 looks pretty much the
same. You have to shop around for Linux distributions that may or may not
work with your machine. I only have to fight with the releases of FreeBSD
and I kinda know what I'm getting into since there s only "one" FreeBSD. I
like that convenience.

You can read this URL by Google's cache:
http://www.wccdrom.com/~rab/bsd_chart.html.

Again, its dated. The challenge is keeping this type of stuff updated. WinXP
Pro is alot faster than Win2000 Pro so again its apples vs. oranges. The
article CLEARLY points out two things about FreeBSD: it is 20-30% faster
than Linux in networking apps and its has an easy port collections database.
You don't have to keep screwing around with RPMS or .DEB files or .tgz
swapping. You don't have to figure out what BOOK to buy that goes with your
disribution!!! Some people don't have a clue about TCO. I like Linux for
what it has done for the developer and user market of learning UNIX without
the high cost of purchase. Sun could have done this but too little too late
in releasing Solaris-Intel to the masses.

Most honest people will tell us that they moved to FreeBSD from the other
platforms, otherwise they use Solaris (support reasons). If they use Linux
is mainly because they don't have the staff that knows FreeBSD well enough
or even know about it (in detail). For non-SMP UNIX server environments I'd
pick FreeBSd without much thought. For desktops I'd pick Windows or Mac
because they are designed for desktops mainly (but why didn't they toss in
BSDI 4.2 or Mac OS X Server to really make a statement?).

I do like Microsoft's efforts in the email and database market. They try to
do it all. Take it as opinion if a reviewer says one is faster than the
other and lets move on otherwise.

-Ken