Date:      Thu, 26 Sep 2019 12:16:56 -0500
From:      Valeri Galtsev <galtsev@kicp.uchicago.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports and packages installed on one system, how to make pkg only

On 2019-09-26 11:29, tech-lists wrote:
> Hello Matthew,
>
> On Thu, Sep 26, 2019 at 04:59:27PM +0100, Matthew Seaman wrote:
>
>> A pkg is what you get from compiling a port.  Once the port is installed
>> it's a pkg and there's no functional difference from a pkg installed
>> from one of the package repositories.

Some of the ports are not in prebuilt pkg repository (maia will be the
one I can name).

>> Or, in other words, just update your machine from the pkg repos.

except for ports that are not in pkg repository. Sometimes they have to
be rebuilt, if the dependency changes (to the level of braking things).

>>  It
>> will replace anything that's out of date, no problem.  There's no
>> particular need to force an update on all packages -- if it's already
>> there and working OK, then my inclination would be to leave it be.
>
> What's of particular concern for me is that the machine had this in its
> /etc/make.conf when it was building it's own ports:
>
> DEFAULT_VERSIONS+=python=2.7
>
> I've since removed it.
>
> Since then, the machine has been brought to 12R-p10 and I've made a
> poudriere

Great, and that is my way too to deal with whatever needs configuration
different from what pkg is built with (apache with LDAP authentication
and mailman with postfix instead of sendmail can be examples).

Valeri

> instance for it on different hardware which has nothing special in its
> own make.conf. I fed it a ports list obtained on the client through
> *portmaster --list-origins | sort -u | tee portslist.txt*, transferred
> that to
> poudriere and it built the ports, and all the flavoured python ones were
> py36-*
>
> So, if I *pkg upgrade -f* on the client (which now knows to use my
> poudriere
> instance), would it be reasonable for me to expect all py27* to be
> upgraded to py36*, without stuff breaking?
>
> thanks,

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator
University of Chicago