Date:      Mon, 28 Sep 1998 00:35:20 -0700
From:      Don Lewis <Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, peter@netplex.com.au (Peter Wemm)
Cc:        bde@zeta.org.au, Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, roberto@keltia.freenix.fr
Subject:   Re: Softupdates panics

On Sep 27, 10:43pm, Terry Lambert wrote:
} > So?  what's being written while you're reading a file?
} >
} > If you're reading and writing the file together, then the modtime stamps
} > will cause the inode to be written out.  If you're just reading, there is
} > no metadata dependency at all because nothing is changed at all.
} >
} > Had anybody got problems with softupdates that can be specifically
} > attributed to the use of -noatime ?
}
} See the most recent stack traceback posted in this forum, and Don
} Lewis' analysis.

There was nothing in the traceback that leads me to believe this panic
was caused by noatime.  As a matter of fact, I got the same panic with
a similar traceback earlier today and I'm not using noatime.  My theory
is that it's another directory locking bug.  It's quite possible that
using noatime may make it easier to trigger this bug.