Date:      Sat, 4 Nov 2000 09:34:48 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Simon Nielsen <simon@dkik.dk>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Two ISP's. Two IP. One default route...

Simon Nielsen <simon@dkik.dk> types:
> I currently have two internet connections though two different ISP's.
> One is a ADSL and another is shared with the rest of my dorm. The shared
> line is rather slow because many people are using it.
>
> I must have an IP on the shared connection since that's the only place
> where I can be sure to have a non changing IP for my DNS. But the ADSL
> is much faster so I would like to use that as much as possible.

Question: what are you using the static IP for? I.e. - who connects to
it, and vice versa?

> I can give my machine an IP on each connection but I can of course only
> set one default route. The default route is currently set to the ADSL.
> The problem is that when a connection is made to IP on the shared
> connection my computer uses the ADSL IP to respond and that does not
> work.
>
> Is there a solution to this? I thought about maybe it is possible to
> route differently when a connection is made on the shared connection but
> I can't find out how to do it.

Well, if you can narrow down who connect on the shared connection, you
can add a route for those addresses pointing to the shared
connection. It's been about five years, but I used to do that, but if
the only people connecting to the shared IP are on the campus net, you
can add a route that looks like

	route add -net campus.net static.ip [campus.netmask]

	<mike