Date:      Fri, 17 Jul 1998 15:49:25 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Chad R. Larson" <chad@freebie.dcfinc.com>
To:        wes@softweyr.com (Wes Peters)
Cc:        chad@dcfinc.com, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Finger and getpwent

> Chad Larson recommended:
> > The model that make sense to me is the SysVr4 Service Access Controller
> > (SAC).  From a security standpoint, there were way too many different
> > ways to get a "login" prompt from the system.  The telnet daemon, the
> > rlogin daemon, FTP, the regular login, the UUCP service, etc.  So now
> > there is only one process that issues "login", and every thing else goes
> > through it.  That gives a single point to install authentication and
> > access control.
> >
> > The other band-aids grew up, in my opinion, as people who didn't have
> > source to their systems tried to fix things up.  We FreeBSDers have the
> > facilities to implement a global solution similar to the SysVr4 one.
>
> Hopefully without the horrible over-complexity of SAF and SAC, though.
> When you have 'keys' that are so complex you have to write another
> command just to generate the keys for you, something has gone horribly
> wrong with your design.

I agree with that, which is why I used the term "model".  I wouldn't
suggest a re-implementation of SAF, but fixing all the various current
access means to route through a common point makes sense to me.

> Wes Peters                                                 Softweyr LLC
> http://www.softweyr.com/~softweyr                      wes@softweyr.com

	-crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL22)                 Brother, can you paradigm?
602-953-1392  chad@dcfinc.com  chad@anasazi.com  larson1@home.com