Date:      Mon, 9 Oct 2000 19:50:54 -0500
From:      David Drum <david@mu.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ipf vs. ipfw ?

Quoth Gerhard Sittig:

> BTW:  Did anyone miss the possibility to use (shell like) variables
> in ipf rules, too?  Is there someone who did something to achieve this?

It isn't pretty, but I use:

firewall_type="/etc/ipfw.conf"
firewall_flags="-p/etc/ipfw.preproc.sh -DIP=1.2.3.4"

in /etc/rc.conf.  Then, /etc/ipfw.preproc.sh contains:

#!/bin/sh
cpp -P $@ | grep '[a-z]'

The grep supresses blank lines that would otherwise confuse ipfw.
Last but not least, /etc/ipfw.conf looks like this:

add deny ip from IP to any in
add allow icmp from any to IP icmptype 0,3,8,11
add allow icmp from IP to any

etc.  I've only provided a few rules as an example.  ipfw -a list gives:

0300	0	0	deny ip from 1.2.3.4 to any in
1900	0	0	allow icmp from any to 1.2.3.4 icmptype 0,3,8,11
2000	0	0	allow icmp from 1.2.3.4 to any

Regards,

David Drum
david@mu.org