Date:      Wed, 17 Nov 1999 10:52:32 -0500 (EST)
From:      Joe Yandle <joe@wlcg.com>
To:        chris@tourneyland.com
Cc:        java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Status of JDK for FreeBSD?

> Okay, I can't hold back any longer.
>
> What's slashdot?

Ack!  You uncultured heathen!

Slashdot is a news portal that describes itself as 'News for Nerds.  Stuff
that matters.'  Kind of like Wired, but without the pretensions.

It's most commonly known for the so called 'Slashdot effect', which
occurs when a site is listed on Slashdot.  Since slashdot gets about half
a million hits a day, any site which is listed on slashdot gets a massive
beating as all the slashdot users visit.  The frequent consequence of this
is server death for the unfortunate site.

It's also commonly known for its bias towards free operating systems,
sometimes to the point of snobbery.  Thus, is we got an article on
slashdot requesting people to vote for the freebsd port, we'd very likely
get tens of thousands of votes in a single day.

Joe Yandle
Internet Programmer
Westlake Consulting Group