Date:      Wed, 25 Oct 2006 00:32:49 +0200
From:      "Maxim Kovgan" <kovganm@gmail.com>
To:        fbsdwww <freebsd-www@freebsd.org>
Subject:   problem the front page layout of freebsd.org (russian version)

Hello!
Sorry, this is a bit long, but needs to be done. for perfection.
I am using gui browser, firefox. my display is 1024x768.

The english version of the site has the 'section' coded as:
on the same level with the logo "the power to serve", which looks OK.
The "TOPNAV" div is in the grey area  - so far so good.

OTOH,
the russian version has this <div> inside the gray stripe with the
"tool bar", which is coded as: <div id="TOPNAV">
Observations:
This may be due to the translation of all the words in "SEARCHNAV",
e.g. "Contact" is translated as "Contact Information", which is
correct, but long, and can be translated as "Contacts", besides in the
topnav some expressions too are translated into long versions,
e.g.: "Support" is translated into "podderzhka", and it can be "pomosh"="Help".
A bit different, but this is shorter, and is clear too
and another long one: "Get FreeBSD" is translated as "Receive
FreeBSD", and it can be "Dostat' FreeBSD",
so, basically either there is a need to make a special russian
stylesheet ( decrease fonts/rearrange the divs )
or to optimize russian translation, with specific width limits on misc elements,

Best regards,

Max.