Date:      Tue, 16 Jul 96 00:48:02 +0200
From:      Ben Stuyts <benst@stuyts.nl>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   2.1.5R: UUCP errors, no flow control?

Hi,

First of all, I am new to FreeBSD, but am very impressed with what I've seen
so far. I have a little problem though: I am setting up a system with 2.1.5R,
and I can't get UUCP to work properly.

There is an external modem (ZyXEL 1496E+) on cuaa1, and I am trying to
connect with another system through UUCP. Outgoing files go just fine, but
incoming files give lots of NAK's, checksum errors, etc. I do not see any
RTS/CTS flow control (I have one of those little RS232 tester on the rs232
port), so I suspect it must be related to that.

The motherboard is a Chaintech 5IFM with a P100 and 32 MB ram. It has what
looks like a UMC i/o chip, which is correctly recognized as having a pair of
16550A's. There are no memory or IRQ conflicts with other cards. I am running
2.1R patched up to 2.1.5R just yesterday.

I have played around with stty, following /etc/rc.serial, but to no avail.
stty -a -f /dev/cuaa1 says that crtscts is enabled anyway, even during the
uucp session.

I have searched the mailing list archives, and found that more people have
this problem. None of the suggestions helped me though. I tried to patch
serial.c from the uucp sources to enable hardware flow control, but this
didn't help. I changed the i-protocol parameters (1 window, 512 bytes...)
which helped a bit but not much. I tried different baud rates, etc. The
archives also suggested that flow control wasn't in 2.1R anyway. Tell me that
isn't true... Others suggested that the UMC chip is crap.

It looks like a tty driver and/or hardware problem, right? What else can I try?

Thanks,
Ben