Date:      Mon, 29 Jul 1996 10:58:05 -0400
From:      Chris Shenton <cshenton@it.hq.nasa.gov>
To:        lithium@cia-g.com
Cc:        hardware@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode

On Fri, 26 Jul 1996 16:13:08 -0600 (MDT)
Stephen Fisher <lithium@cia-g.com> wrote:

lithium> (This is running 2.1.5R, I had the same problems with 2.1R).
lithium> Sometimes the machine will even "Freeze" and reboot in the
lithium> middle of doing something with no warning..:]
lithium>
lithium> Fatal tral 12: page fault while in kernel mode
lithium> Fault virtual address	= 0xfc7
lithium> Fault code		= supervisor read, page not present
lithium> Instruction pointer	= 0x8:0xf0181de2
lithium> Code segment		= base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
lithium> 			  DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 0
lithium> Processor eflags	= interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
lithium> Current process		= 249 (cpp)
lithium> Interrupt mask		=
lithium> panic: page fault
lithium>
lithium> As I said it almost always happens on the same instruction
lithium> pointer.  The process can be anything but it usually occurs
lithium> with gcc (such as when compiling the kernel, I can't even get
lithium> a minute or two into the compile).
lithium>
lithium> Hardware: 16meg of parity ram, AMD DX4/100, SiS 85c471
lithium> chipset motherboard (ick!) with VLB bus, Adaptec 284x SCSI
lithium> controller, S3 video card, etc.

I just brought up 2.1.5R on an AMD486-100 and got a very similar
problem after rebuilding the kernel. It spat out this kind of error --
in random processes like sh and inetd -- and failed to boot.

At the time I was trying to compile in support for a GUS MAX and PC
Audio devices.

I also noticed I was getting file corruption, as if my disk was dying
or some such, so I suspect that possibly the kernel file also had
corruption, causing a bogus instruction to be executed. I just
re-installed on a new disk, so if this disappears, I'll blame the
drive. If not, I'm not sure :-(