Date:      Fri, 29 Aug 1997 10:27:41 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        peter@grendel.IAEhv.nl (Peter Korsten)
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Rumors of the death of Unix have been greatly exaggerated...

Peter Korsten said:

> So, Pedro, get out of your ivory tower and check your facts before
> you start making statements from other people's experience. There's
> a world out there that's using these products. You may not like it,
> but you can't get around it either.
>
> I know I'm sounding like 'Amazing Discoveries' here. I'm not a
> Microsoft advocate - far from that - but I think there's a lot of
> either ignorance or blindsightness about this firm and it's products
> in the Unix world.

I am a "people" who also has worked with NT (and is an NT developer.)  All
I can say is that on the vast majority of hardware that I have seen, NT
just cannot hack a reasonable load.  Also, the machines at the place where
I used to work would crash quite regularly running both an interactive
(low pressure production load), and also during development.  We are talking
top-notch hardware here, like ASUS MB's, top of the line HP machines,
SuperMicro MB's, etc.  I don't know of ONE machine that didn't crash (fairly
often).  This is on Pentiums, PPros, and 486's, with or without parity or
ECC memory.

BTW, that is at a company that STILL newly decides to use NT as their main
desktop OS...  Go figure?  Sounds like a ringing endorsement of mediocre
software.  Sounds like the "pointy haired boss" liked the pretty colors.

I am not unbiased, but the above anecdotal evidence is accurate.

--
John
dyson@iquest.net