Date:      Thu, 06 Jan 2000 19:11:27 -0500
From:      Walter Brameld <brameld@twave.net>
To:        "freebsd-stable@freebsd.org" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Install problems

   I'm about to have a brain hemmorhage now. I decided to redo my whole
machine, Windows and FreeBSD, (each has it's own hard drive). Have
installed Windows 98 now, but can't get FreeBSD to install! I don't have
the cd's, I've done it from both ftp and a dos partition, but now can't
get either one to work. Windows is on drive C:, attempting FreeBSD on
drive D:.

   I had planned to do a minimal install, restore my /usr/src files,
cvsup and rebuild. I have the directories C:\FREEBSD, C:\FREEBSD\bin
with all the files, and C:\FREEBSD\floppies with all the files except
the pccard directory. Install says it can't find a primary dos
partition. When I redid the disk, I use Western Digital's EZBios, and
believe that may be causing the problem.

   What is throwing me is not getting my dialup to work. After
configuration, I go to ALT-F4, then dial. Everything goes fine until my
isp sends back my dynamic address. I get the error (if memory
serves....):

PPp ON brameld> Phase: 206.203.119.32: Unacceptable address! (May have
left part of it out)

   I then get lost carrier and disconnect. Does this whether I use PAP
or do it through term. I have always been successful with this method in
the past, and haven't a clue as to what is going wrong. ALT-F2 seems to
be giving good message results, although I had never looked at it when
things were working.

    If anyone has an idea as to what may be going wrong, I would
appreciate whatever help you can provide. As a side note, I've tried
this with both the 3.3 and 3.4 RELEASE disks.

Thanks people.

Walter