Date:      Fri, 29 Aug 1997 08:48:29 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dual Log Stats - 1997/08/29

>> limit. It would be nice if we had enough reserve capacity to handle special
>> days like yesterday. I estimate that we could have handled everyone (not
>> turned anyone away) if the limit had instead been around 3000. The main
>> problem is lack of main memory, but we're pretty much out of CPU cycles at
>> 2000 users as well.
>
>*chanting* SMP, SMP, SMP...
>
><grin>

   With the work that Steve is doing right now in leveraging the spl*
functions to allow CPUs to process interrupts simultaneously while another
CPU is executing system call code, going to SMP on wcarchive is a definate
possibility. I'd say this would be at least four months out. however.
Basically, the decision to go SMP on wcarchive is simple: It has to help
more than it hurts.

-DG

David Greenman