Date:      Tue, 16 Jun 1998 18:56:15 -0600 (MDT)
From:      allen campbell <allenc@verinet.com>
To:        fewtch@serv.net
Cc:        newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A first encounter with 'vi'

> Power means little when it is not accompanied by at least a little ease of
> use/attention to user interface design (Bill Gates figured this out, and
> he's the richest man on the planet at this point).  I could design an
> automobile consisting of a steel-reinforced cardboard box, a steering
> mechanism designed to be steered by the small toes on each foot, and steel
> tires, with a 1000 horsepower engine and 500 gallon gas tank hanging on the
> side, *VERY* powerful, you think anyone wants to drive it?

Unix is user friendly.  It's just not beginner friendly.

Vi is somewhat of a right of passage.  Please consider making a
concerted effort to become productive with it.  That doesn't mean
you have to put up with it if you don't want to.  I have already
pointed out the many alternatives available to you.

--
  Allen Campbell
  allenc@verinet.com