Date:      Fri, 29 Aug 1997 11:19:09 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        Tim Vanderhoek <hoek@hwcn.org>
Cc:        Peter Korsten <peter@grendel.IAEhv.nl>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ATT Unix for Windows !

On Fri, 29 Aug 1997, Tim Vanderhoek wrote:

> editting (eg. with sed(1)), for two.  And no, simply thinking
> from a Windows point of view does not obviate the need for sed.
> GUIs aren't that powerful (_yet_).

...Or, GUIs solve different sorts of problems so the comparison
is possibly inappropriate....

> Fix the damn user.  If a user is stupid, they are going to screw
> things up, no matter what.  GIGO is a universal law, and there's
> simply no getting around that.  A smart user will recognize when
> they don't know wtf they're doing.  The stupid user keeps
> bumbling-on, and there's no way for anything, either a program
> working from a text init file, or not.  It's not possible to
> screen-out every wrong input, because if there was only one right
> input, we wouldn't need any input...

You make sweeping generalizations about user intelligence.  For
example, imagine an architect who is a virtuoso with a piece of
CAD software.  They have taken the time to become a smart and
sophisticate user within the domain where computer and
architecture intersect.  From the point of view of the busy
architect, the smaller this intersection the better so long as
the benefits of the technology can be had.  If forced out of that
small overlap area, the architect may look and feel like an
incompetent bumbling idiot.

The driving philosophy of the Star/Lisa/Macintosh lineage was to
maximize application domain benefit while minimizing computer
domain expertise requirement.  The Unix philosophy is closer to
maximizing application domain benefit by maximizing computer
domain expertise.  Both approaches are effective, but it
shouldn't come as any surprise that the potential market for the
former is much larger.  Not only that, there probably isn't much
overlap between the markets.

It is also worth noting that the Unix tool and pipe model doesn't
map into a GUI world very well.  The knee-jerk reaction is to
discount the GUI world as being inferior, without making an
effort to understand it.  Alternatively, attempts are made to
apply Unix tool philosophies to the GUI world, witness dozens X
toolkits.  But, while Unix tools can be put to good use in
isolation a widget is nothing unless embedded in an application.

The Unix philosophy tends to leave that last step--the
application development--up to the end user, the problem being
that developing a good interactive GUI application is a lot
harder for most traditionally trained programmers than developing
a good batch-oriented command line tool.  The programming isn't
hard, the design is; it has absolutely nothing to do with
anything you will find in any algorithms or data structures text.
You have to venture into graphic design, industrial engineering
and psychology.

Effective small can be built built on a good understanding of
algorithms and data structures.  Effective GUI applications are
built on a good understanding of application domains and the
capabilities of the target user.

Now, I want to have my cake and eat it to, namely high quality
GUI applications that allow me to concentrate on the task at hand
instead of always having little bits of the computing domain
intruding, yet be able to drop down into "small tool" world when
I need to do something too unusual or rare to warrant designing a
GUI for it.  Sort of a Macintosh/Unix hybrid like the Next but
with enough market share to attract good application developers.

Sorry, I sort of rambled....

-john