Date:      Tue, 21 May 1996 11:10:10 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Steven Frank <stevenf@thetics.europa.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Socket library question

    I have a very technical question about BSD socket library code, and
someone suggested this mailing list as a resource.

    I have ported the BSD socket library to another OS, and added an
integrated PPP interface and modem dialer.  The ultimate goal is a
Trumpet WinSock-ish type of application.

    It all seems to be working well except for one thing.  When a client
application calls recv(), and the recv() cannot be fulfilled immediately,
the kernel calls sbwait() which in turn calls tsleep().  Somehow the
appropriate wakeup is not happening and it stays in tsleep()
indefinitely.

    If the stack never reaches that sbwait() condition, it works very well.

    I realize this question is kind of a long shot, but does anyone know
what might be going on?  Other tsleeps() in the code get woken up
correctly.  Could there be a problem in my emulation of the splx()
calls?  Perhaps the kernel is fine, and the problem stems from the fact
that the PPP interface came from a different flavor of BSD than the kernel?

    If you have any ideas at all, please contact me at
stevenf@europa.com.  I would be _extremely_ grateful.  Even if you don't
know the precise problem you might say something that makes the light
bulb go on for me...

    Thanks!