Date:      Tue, 27 Jun 1995 06:50:39 +0100
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Volker Paepcke <scratchy@vulcan.franken.de>
Cc:        jkh@FreeBSD.ORG, imp@village.org, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Announcing 2.0.5-950622-SNAP

> A probably better solution would be to let booteasy announce
> partitions with sysid 164 as FreeBSD partitions too. After choosing
> the boot partition the sysids on all FreeBSD partitions will be set to

Hmmm.  I think I'll let Serge comment on that.. :-)

> BTW, the sysinstall procedure is VERY, VERY nice, although I'd like
> some more "hacker" functions like labeling the disks step by step and
> the possibility to recover a previously saved system (e.g. with dump)
> from tape. To do this I only need to label the disk, run newfs and get
> a /bin/sh to run restore manually to load the data from tape. I won't
> need a fixit floppy anymore if I could do all this with one great boot
> floppy :-)

I do have features like that very much in mind!  I don't know if I'll
get "dump" on there, but I could at least let you restore from a
(possibly multi-volume) tar tape.  That wouldn't be too bad of an
interim solution while I think about it some more.  Maybe in 2.1! :)

Thanks..

					Jordan