Date:      Tue, 27 Feb 1996 13:51:02 +0100
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.tfs.com>
To:        Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IP filtering strawman, comments please.

> Wow.  That's all I have to say!  That's very artsy.  "divert", what an
> excellent idea!!!  "where a user-mode process can have fun with it"...  I
> nearly split in two when I read that.  Show me a Cisco that can
> automatically analyze and keep statistics about where dropped packets had
> been coming from!!  That would be like an ultimate firewall.
>
> I'm proud to be wearing my "Free The Berkeley 4.4" T-shirt today!!
>
> Wait.  One thing:
>
> > 	Interface matches name
> > 	Interface matches IP.
>
> IF it is easy to do, "Interface matches type" (i.e. driver type, let's say
> you want to toss a filter on ALL "ppp" or "sl" devices).
>
> I am thinking mainly about trying to easily implement a rule such as:
>
> "drop all routing packets coming in via SLIP"

I have thought about this, I can see a couple of (non-exclusive) solutions:

	... via ppp*
		interpreted as if_name must be ppp[0-9][0-9]* (for any value
		of ppp of course, ed* sl* tun* ...)

	... via P2P
		interpreted as if_flags must have POINTTOPOINT set.

> which might be mildly trickier to specify using more specific rules.  This
> would only be useful to the ISP community - where 16 or 32 SLIP lines is
> hardly unusual - but it WOULD be useful to them, if you can easily
> accomplish it.
>
> On the other hand, what you have outlined is very comprehensive as it
> stands, IMHO.

Thanks!

whois: [PHK]                | phk@ref.tfs.com       TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
Future will arrive by its own means, progress not so.