Date:      Wed, 6 Oct 1999 17:35:41 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
To:        Pat Dirks <pwd@apple.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers <FreeBSD-Hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Apple's planned appoach to permissions on movable filesystems

On Tue, 5 Oct 1999, Pat Dirks wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm the File Systems Tech Lead at Apple in the Mac OS X Core OS group.
> We've been struggling with the question of how best to handle permissions
> on disks that are moved between systems for Mac OS X and Mac OS X Server:
> the problem is that numeric IDs in inodes (or their moral equivalent)
> written on the filesystem on one system don't necessarily map to the same
> user, if they're valid at all, on another system (although they MIGHT).
> With ZIP drives holding appreciable volumes of data and multi-gigabyte
> FireWire drives becoming more common this is an issue that will
> definitely pop up more and more as people carry data with them on
> removable disk filesystems.

[snip]

Have you given consideration to systems where the user/group database is
kept for (possibly a large) number of computers in a centralised manner by
say hesiod or nys (nis+). It would be nice if there was an easy interface
with these so that distributing the local system id numbers need not be
done by hand.