Date:      Fri, 29 Aug 1997 10:01:16 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Sean Eric Fagan <sef@Kithrup.COM>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dual Log Stats - 1997/08/29

>>> Bytes transferred : 200,910,987,981
>
>If I did the math right, that's an average of a bit more than 2MBytes/sec.
>average throughput.  (I am assuming this is for a 24 hour period.)

   2.3MB/sec, and actually it isn't for a 24 hour period. Daytime is always
much busier than nighttime and you also didn't account for packet overhead
and other things. The real number is about 38-40Mbps during the day, or
roughly 40% of a fast ethernet.

>That means it has surprassed a normal ethernet, but has plenty of room for a
>fast ethernet.  If it's still connected by 100Mbps connection, it still has
>plenty of room.

   Yes, it still has plenty of room. The limitation at the moment is Sprint
and MCI who don't seem to think they need to upgrade their overloaded DS3
circuits at the PacBell NAP.

>So what's the thing doing with a wimpy 2000 user limit? :)

   It's what limits us from higher data rates. Most people only have 33Kbps
modems (or worse), and it takes a whole lot of those to fill a fast ethernet.
In a normal day, 80% of the people currently logged in are idle at any given
time - only about 20% are actively transfering files.

-DG

David Greenman