Date:      Mon, 27 Aug 2001 12:25:55 +0300
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
To:        Michael Truog <mjtruog@mail.ru>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Download link

On Sun, Aug 26, 2001 at 11:54:43PM +0000, Michael Truog wrote:
>    I really wish you wouldn't have removed the Download link (underneath
> all ports' description on the web site) to easily find the latest FreeBSD
> package files in the ports tree.  You instead replaced it with a Main Web
> Site link (for dumb people that don't realize that the Long Description
> link usually contains a web site too). Obviously catering to linux
> kiddies.......sad

Hrm.  Excuse me?  What exactly are you looking at?
http://www.FreeBSD.org/ports/ does have a 'Package' link for both
the 'Search' results and the ports enumerated by category.
I honestly cannot see a 'Main Web Site' link anywhere except in
the description; you cannot reach the description without going through
the shorter port synopsis, which has a 'Package' link.

>    I know you seem to be trying to get more people from linux over to
> FreeBSD but you sure are messing up on the way.....

I really do not think this is an explicit goal of the FreeBSD Project.
I'd rather think the goal was more like making FreeBSD itself better,
so people who know what they want would make the transition themselves :)

> a little planning i think....OSX got messed up by FreeBSD's sudo....right?

I don't really know what you mean by this.  There is no such thing
as "FreeBSD's sudo" - sudo is only available as a port under FreeBSD,
it is an externally maintained program, and when some problems were
discovered there, it was in no way FreeBSD's fault.  You do not honestly
expect the FreeBSD porters' team to perform a source-level security audit
on each and every of the 5000+ ports in the tree, do you now? :)

> you just had a nice hole in your telentd......in the main distribution
> (nice little sign you have on your web site).

This was not FreeBSD-specific, as I'm sure you are aware (you do read
forums like BugTraq, right?).  Please cite an OS that had some form
of BSD-derived telnet daemon and was *not* affected by this :)

> I have to say FreeBSD is becoming more pathetic each day.  It still is
> better than linux.  My only question is for how long.

Thank you for your opinion.

>    Just a little rant, I know you donate time......just preserve
> FreeBSD's stability and appeal as a good system to develop on......
> thats all.

Thanks.  We do try.  Please cite some real FreeBSD-specific problems
in your next rant :)

G'luck,
Peter

--
If there were no counterfactuals, this sentence would not have been paradoxical.