Date:      Wed, 31 May 1995 18:42:30 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   2.0.5A Installation observations.

OK; I thought I'd do my bit for the cause, and have a tinker with the
2.0.5A bootdisk.  I haven't gone any further coz the australian mirror
isn't up yet 8)

Here are some observations, based on reading the docco and then plunging
into the setup process.

1) The FTP options screen gives no indication of whether options are
   set or not, and no apparent way of turning them off afterwards.
   I suspect that it should be two radiobuttons (failure options)
   and two checkboxes for the other options, rather than four menu
   entries.

2) The options->extra debugging says 'toggle', but all it does is turn it
   on, and the next option turns it off.  Shouldn't that be another
   checkbox?

3) There are _lots_ of "Command output is on debugging screen" messages
   displayed, at possibly confusing times.  I suspect that this is
   because I had the 'extra debugging' turned on, which is MSF.

4) (This has already been raised) In the master partition editor, the
   ESC-to-exit option should really be ESC-to-continue, as otherwise
   the gutfeeling implication is that you're abandoning your changes.

5) The "Distribution Selection" dialog has an accidental newline in the
   description text at the top of the dialog. (Nitpick)

6) In the "Network Configuration" dialog, the bottomline text displayed
   for the netmask option has a typo : "for this interfaace"

7) The netmask field in the "Network Configuration" dialog doesn't "work"
   - specifically, when you cursor out of it, it's cleared.  When you
   exit the dialog, the debugging output shows no signs of setting the
   netmask. (I tried decimal, hex, and "my cat has fleas", none caused
   either an error or a result)

8) If the user fails to read the instructions saying DO NOT COME BACK
   UNTIL YOU HAVE A PPP connection (I don't, I was pretending 8)
   and comes back (or perhaps if the connection fails, or they "didn't
   mean it"), the extraction fails with a couple of "unknown error -1"
   messages and "couldn't extract all of the dists, Residue: bdf",
   and then proceeds to announce that the installation completed OK.

9) Selecting "Install" from the main menu with no slices defined
   causes a lockup with a blank blue screen.  (You have to visit the
   slice editor first, I actually generated this by going through
   the whole process and then going back and deleteting the FreeBSD
   slice.)

There are a few rough edges left, and I think that libdialog is
responsible for a large number of these, but on the whole this is
a very spiffy installation indeed.  I can't wait to slather it all
over my poor unsuspecting disks 8)

Jordan : I'm aware that this is a public forum, and that you have
a sore vertebra, but I suspect we should be asking your SO to thank
you on our behalf 8)

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" - Terry Lambert                            [[